Friday, August 31, 2012

Toille Slipcovers

Here are my slipcovers I recently made. They are sewn from 100% cotton 54"wide toille that is cream background and a subtle sepia print. I had this fabric laying around for about 6 yrs. and had just enough to do these four chairs. It took about 9 yds to do this simple styled slipcover with box pleat corners. If you were going to have a ruffled skirt or fully pleated skirt on the slipcover it would require maybe 11 to 12 yds. depending on how you styled the slipcover.
These chairs have a wider width at the top and narrower as they go down near the seat of the chair. So I needed to make a pleat in the center back to accomodate the difference in width.
 Then to pull in the fullness I added the ribbon at the back pleat
which added some charm to the style. I do not have a pattern to work with, I make it up as I go. I always start designing at the top of the back of the chair and work down. It's the easiest to do it that way because in most cases the chair back is fairly simple and once you get a basic outline of the back of the chair you can design off of that, like using ribbons, button closures, zippers, etc... then you measure and cut the seat and sew that to the front  chair cover then do the skirt. I wanted to add piping to the seam's but was afraid I would not have enough fabric to do that, so I left that off. Piping really adds a nice professional look to slipcovers. So anyway I enjoyed making these and I am happy the way they turned out.

No comments: